Pages

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Wise ol' Jethro

Having studied Theology and Biblical studies in both college and seminary I often find myself looking for the hidden deep treasures of scripture (both a noble and needed pursuit). So I love it when I am reading the Bible and come across a really practical section of scripture. That is one thing I find so very interesting about scripture is that it contains both the practical and the deep truths. The passage we read last night contains a great practical lesson in leadership.

I will let you read it for yourself:
[14] When Moses' father-in-law saw all that he was doing for the people, he said, “What is this that you are doing for the people? Why do you sit alone, and all the people stand around you from morning till evening?” [15] And Moses said to his father-in-law, “Because the people come to me to inquire of God; [16] when they have a dispute, they come to me and I decide between one person and another, and I make them know the statutes of God and his laws.” [17] Moses' father-in-law said to him, “What you are doing is not good. [18] You and the people with you will certainly wear yourselves out, for the thing is too heavy for you. You are not able to do it alone. [19] Now obey my voice; I will give you advice, and God be with you! You shall represent the people before God and bring their cases to God, [20] and you shall warn them about the statutes and the laws, and make them know the way in which they must walk and what they must do. [21] Moreover, look for able men from all the people, men who fear God, who are trustworthy and hate a bribe, and place such men over the people as chiefs of thousands, of hundreds, of fifties, and of tens. [22] And let them judge the people at all times. Every great matter they shall bring to you, but any small matter they shall decide themselves. So it will be easier for you, and they will bear the burden with you. [23] If you do this, God will direct you, you will be able to endure, and all this people also will go to their place in peace.” (Exodus 18:14–23 ESV)

Jethro comes to visit Moses and sees how he goes about his work and offers some great advice! Delegation! Jethro tell Moses to delegate, he tells him specifically how to do it. Can you imagine the line to see Moses before he began to delegate? We think the DMV is bad! Think about waiting in line all day to get Moses to settle you dispute and you finally get a few people away and he closes up shop for the day! As leaders we need to learn to delegate. Now, there is a difference between delegation and laziness. Laziness says, "I'll let other people handle all this so I can relax and not work". Delegation says, "I am going to let others help so I can focus on the main part that I need to be working on so we can all accomplish our goal."

There are some keys though we must follow if we want to delegate effectively. 1) Remember you are the leader and must accept full responsibility for how your team performs, no passing the blame if someone drops the ball. 2) Make sure those to whom you are delegating are capable of the task that you give them. 3) Don't micro manage. Let you team work! 4) But be prepared to step in if needed. 5) Make sure you focus on your part and lead by example.    

No comments:

Post a Comment